Sunday, April 30, 2006

Left Brain Right Brain

I had a great time tonight hanging out with Doug and his friends. It's really cool to hang out with people who aren't the typical kind of cool. They got interests and interesting quirks. Met a psychology major who's in a holistic therapy school right here in my town.

Earlier today I was really down. I tried calling Mari, but she didn't pick up or return my call. E.B. was probably going to hang out with his gf or programmer friends again. Good people, but enough computer nerdism for me. (Computer nerds tend not to be into occult esoterica and depth psychology.) Doug also took a while to get back to me, so I felt a bit lonely. The thought of drinking alone on a Saturday night didn't appeal to me, even hooked up to the EEG ("beer research" as the bums call it). Slashdot also killed a bunch of my time and some of my stomach lining as I sat through the hunger laughing at jokes that would completely ostracize me from mainstream society if I repeated them in public. Wasted a couple of minutes on askaninja.com (damn Slashdot).

When things get a bit dreary, they always pick up again, and I learn something about myself. I can't hang with tech geeks too much. I need a dose of the poetic, the schizophrenic, the "soft" sciences. The more I think about it, the more I'm pulled away from my declared major in computer science and into something more human.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home